Hey, I'm Tania! I'm a software engineer in Chicago. This is my spot on the web for projects I've created, tutorials I've written, musings, and anything else I want to show the world.
I started making websites in 1998 (on Geocities) and I've been making them ever since. I have a degree in culinary arts and spent nearly a decade managing restaurants before I realized what the right career for me is and became a developer. I love documenting and sharing what I learn, so enjoy the site!
You can contact me by email at email@example.com to say hi! I always appreciate meeting new people. (Note: I don't do affiliates or guest posts so those requests will ignored.)
There's a whole world out there outside of tech, but coding (and writing about it) is my favorite hobby. I also love music from a wide variety of genres, from folk music to indie alternative/electropop and disco to video game OSTs. I like to sing (and do karaoke!) and my favorite instrument is the accordion. I recently learned how to knit.
The brain is part of the body, and staying in motion and taking care of my body is important to me. I like riding my bike around the city, and hiking when I get a chance to get away.
I like strategy board games and real-time strategy video games. Science, science fiction, and the cosmos are fascinating to me, and I love The Expanse and Carl Sagan's books. We are made of star stuff.
I like to sing, play accordion, and record music sometimes. Here are a few that I've recorded.
I've written one free e-book so far, Understanding the DOM, published by DigitalOcean.
Don't forget to check out New Moon, the world's greatest web development code theme! .
A list of some of the articles I've written outside of this website.
- Understanding the DOM — Document Object Model (Tutorial Series, 8 articles) – DigitalOcean, 2017–2018
- Setting up a RESTful API with Node.js and PostgreSQL – LogRocket, 2018
- An Introduction to CSS Shapes – Tympanus Codrops, 2018
- ES6 Syntax, Features and Additions: A Reference Guide – Progress Telerik, 2018
- REST API Tutorial (1): Understanding REST APIs – Envato Tuts+, 2018
- REST API Tutorial (2): Set Up a Node/Express Server – Envato Tuts+, 2018
- REST API Tutorial (3): Connect to a Postgres Database – Envato Tuts+, 2018
Here's what I use. Suggestions appreciated!
- Coding PC: MacBook Pro 2017
- Monitor: TUF Gaming VG27AQ (x2)
- Keyboard: Keychron K1 Wireless Mechanical
- Microphone: Blue Yeti
- Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM3
- Desk: I finished a butcher block from Home Depot and mounted it on two IKEA ALEX drawers.
Other pages on the site that don't fit anywhere else.
Tania writes extremely clear, concise tutorials. It's no exaggeration to say that I wouldn't currently have a job in development without this site. So thanks for ruining my life, Tania.
– Craig Lam
Software Developer @ KPV LAB